Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter Reflections

I grew up in a fairly religious household. I was baptized in a Lutheran church. (Hey, it's Minnesota and I'm predominantly Norwegian.) I went through Confirmation and I received my engraved bible in 4th grade. As a teen, I went to summer bible camp and attended church on Sundays and youth group on Wednesdays at an Assemblies of God church.

During my Junior year of high school, I walked away from my church. Without making any unnecessary accusations or negative remarks, my leaving had a lot to do with the youth leaders and my friends in the church. I couldn't be involved with a group of people who I felt didn't live like the Christians they claimed to be. So I made the difficult decision to walk away.

I spent most of college deciding what was important to me religiously, spiritually, etc... I came to the realization that my relationship with God was between me and Him. I can be a good person, live a good Christian life, and have my "religious" practices be on my terms and behind closed doors. Having someone in a church tell me his interpretation is fine, but it's not the only answer.

There's a book, Velvet Elvis by Pastor Rob Bell. In his book, he discusses the fact that we should question our faith everyday; that it's OK to read, learn, discover our religion and others around the world; it's OK to constantly ask for answers and not simply go on "faith" alone. I recently started going to church again. It's a nice little Methodist church near my parents. The pastor (who's a woman!) gave me the book when I expressed my hesitation about starting another path towards a church membership.

Tomorrow is Easter which, according to the bible, is the day that Jesus rose again and returned to Heaven. I think it's so much more. Take it to relax, to love, to laugh and to reflect and who you are and what you believe. Whatever it is, Happy Easter!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this post! Very well said.

Jill Schrader said...

I've had very similar issues with religion based on the so-called Christian people I grew up with. It's definitely a personal thing, and we shouldn't let others' rules about religion dictate.