Monday, June 21, 2010

The Prom of the Army

Have any of you enlisted wives been to the Army Ball?

Al informed me of a mandatory ball coming up post-deployment. He of course doesn't want to go. I of course, do. This spurred a lengthy "conversation" about what it is.
He seems to think I don't know what it is and if I did I wouldn't want to be a part of it.

When I was 20, I flew out to 29 Palms to see my friend (current roomie) who was a Marine. We drove out to Vegas for the Marine's Ball. I had an absolute blast dressing up, eating dinner and then walking the strip afterwards. It was all expenses paid and was a lovely event.

This, and the few details in books and other sources is what I base my opinion on.
Let me be more clear, though. The REAL reason I want to be a part of it is because I feel like I am missing out on all the military experiences. I chose to live in a state with no military installation and therefore no military support system. I chose to be long-distance through this deployment and most of our relationship.

Involving myself in the ball and other military ceremonies and events is the way I contribute. It's the way I stay involved. And frankly, it's fun. To me, it serves as a way to enjoy what we just endured together - Sort of like a "thank you" party. Kick back, drink and have a little fun to end such a difficult adventure.

Al is NOT Mr. Military in ANY way. He's very behind-the-scenes about his job and would rather slit his eyes then be involved in these events. I realize how little he wants to be a part of it, but I am equally adamant about why I WANT to be a part of it.

So, I put this out there, to my fellow (particularly Army) milSO's:
Have you been to the Ball?
What did you think of it?
How does your husband feel about them?
Any other details I should know or advice you have?

9 comments:

Rei said...

Hi Mel! I have been to one Marine Corps ball (like you!) and I absolutely loved it. I was living far away from him and so I felt what you're feeling now - I got to meet all of Dave's officers, the CO and the people from his shop. It was a bit awkward because I didn't know anybody, didn't really know how to act. But I did LOVE dressing up, taking pictures and dancing. Dave is a pretty mr. military but he calls the ball "mandatory fun with juice" So we stay as long as he wants. I hope you get to go!

Anonymous said...

I havent been to an Army ball but I have been to the Marine Ball. Its a blast. My marine and his buddies seem to enjoy going, his ball was not mandatory and everyone pretty much still went. It consisted of a lovley dinner and ceremony dancing and of course an open bar!

Michelle said...

I hope you guys go to it. I've never been because we always live (get sent) far away from the military installation. As much as I'd like to go, there is no way we're paying to get ourselves out to the post. Plus, OccDoc doesn't like to associate with work people when he's off the clock. Perhaps this deployment will change his tune. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I as well have done the long distance thing where I live near NO military bases or installations whatsoever. However, I did go to the Marine Corps Ball (twice) and it was fun both times. I got to celebrate the pride that he has for the military. My future hubby has always enjoyed going to those things but he loathes anything else he has to go to. I guess my advice would be to try to explain it to him why you want to go to the ball and what it would mean to you if you went. I'm sure he will understand and maybe end up wanting to go anyway. Hope this helps!

HellcatBetty said...

We're Army National Guard, so our ball is likely a bit different, but I get the sense that most of these events are similar across the various branches of the military. I've only been to one ball, and then several "dining outs." Some of them were snoozeworthy, but the one ball I've been to, was more fun simply because you get to dress up and drink free booze... kinda like prom but with alcohol you don't have to sneak in under your dress! ;) But in all seriousness, I think you should go... after one or two you'll be bored with them, but it's kind of a rite of passage.

The LT's Wifey said...

We always go. Although the Husband loves the Army, he rarely loves Army functions or Army people. It's part of the job though. I agree with Mel-the dressing up is fun, the photos and just watching the traditions that all the guys do is worth it. Here is the real fun though (warning-it's slightly evil) There is always, at least one, really, super duper tacky wife dressed incredibly inappropriate in a prom dress meant for a 17 year old with over done make up and the worst "up-do" you have ever seen. Really, I do feel bad for her-but I am pretty sure all military houses have mirrors in them and I am pretty sure she had at least friend who "okay'd" her look for the night. I know, I am a mean person-but there is something to be said for elegance. What I am really trying to say is-- LBD girl, LBD.

ThinkFeminist said...

I would like to know too...I see interesting answers already. Good question Mel!

Musings Of An Army Wife

Anonymous said...

First, I wanted to say congrats on being nominated for an award at Navy Doll's Blog! =)

Oh, goodness. I could write a book on this topic! I have a very strong love/hate relationship with formal military functions - especially the balls. Love getting dressed up and watching the pomp and circumstance. Hate being in a room full of people with no manners. Did you see my post on how to dress for these events a few days ago? If not, here's the link (http://misadventuresofanarmywife.blogspot.com/2010/06/cinderella-dresses-tiaras-and-glitter.html), so I won't repeat that advice...

Overall, I would recommend at least Googling things like how to go through a receiving line, proper cocktail etiquette, and the order of events at the ball so you know what to expect. Have you read the "Army Wife Handbook: A Complete Social Guide" by Anne Crossley? Parts of it will make you roll your eyes because she thinks we still live in the 1950s, but some things, like how to go through a receiving line and what to expect at the ball, still apply.

I think the two things that most people forget at these events is that you need to be yourself, but you are also a representative of your husband/significant other. So, be your charming self! Talk with other significant others, get to know the guys he deployed with (aka his Army family!), sit back and watch the pomp and circumstance along with the *interesting* people. Just remember to represent Al like you would want him to represent you at a law school function. I know that I don't really need to tell you that, but maybe someone else reading might need that advice. =)

Anyway, hope this helps. I've lost count of how many of these functions I've been too. If you have any specific questions, you know where to find me!

Anonymous said...

There is a surprise for you on my blog :) http://beautifulmess-k.blogspot.com/2010/06/my-first-blog-award.html