I am spending my day today doing a build with Habitat for Humanity. It's a full day build not far from my house so I signed up. If I like it, I will be signing up for a couple days each week.

This week's Wondering segment will be centered around philanthropy and volunteering. So here are the questions:
1. Have you ever participated in a major volunteer event (Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, United Way, etc...)?
2. Do you volunteer locally on your post (or in your city)? Explain.
3. Have you ever done a charity run/walk/ride/etc...?
4. Do you have a charity or other organization that you support regularly with your time, money or in other ways? Share a little about it.
5. Are there any resources or advice for volunteering in your area so other women can get out there and help too?
My answers:
1. Other then my aforementioned participation with Habitat, I volunteered with the Special Olympics of Rhode Island
2. In college, I did a lot of local volunteer work. I stocked at a food shelf for 3 years; I ran a group for Vine Senior Community and did yard work and fix-ups for local elderly homes for 2 years; and I ran a donation box to collect cold-weather gear for homeless shelters.
3. No. I would really like to do the Susan G. Komen Walk for a Cure at some point, but have not had the opportunity yet.
4. I donate money once per year to St. Jude's Children's Hospital and the American Cancer Association. I donate to St. Jude's because of a friend of mine who spent a lot of time at St. Jude when she lost her son at the age of 9. The donation is in the memorial of her son. I donate to the ACA in memorial of my best friend's father who passed from stomach cancer just over a year ago.
5. See below.
My hope is to offer options and encourage everyone to spend a little of your time giving back in some way. We all get so busy, and funds get scarce so donating either seems so difficult. If you can't afford to donate money, donate your time; if you don't have time to give, drop off food or clothes at a shelter. Anything you can do can and WILL help.
For those of you who have children, I found a couple of resources that you can use to volunteer WITH your children! How great is that?!?
Here they are:
Hope this helps! Link up below and share you volunteering experiences with me. Thank you!
2 comments:
I've often wondered about Habitat! Looking forward to hearing more about it :)
What a great post! I feel like I need to give more to the world, both time and $. Sometimes I get discouraged about giving $ though because I just wonder if it gets used responsibly. Most of my volunteer work this past year has been church related, which is ok I guess but I feel like I should be giving more for the wider community. That's why I'm going to start volunteering at a local veteran's hospital. My orientation is next week. I'll let you know how it goes!
Post a Comment