My roommate has been in NoDak for about a month now. I believe things are going well up there, but I don't know since he really isn't returning my calls. I do know that he took almost all of his stuff (other than the furniture in his room), which is fine since he owns nothing of consequence to me. The dishes, kitchen supplies, TV, etc... are all mine.
I was under the impression that he was going for a one-month training session and then he would be back for two weeks to spend time with KA (his girlfriend, if you recall.) Since he still pays rent, he is obviously allowed to come back to our place when he's in Minnesota. The one time I have spoken to him, he implied that he likely wouldn't be back at all until it's time to move out. Which is really fine by me; I don't mind having the place to myself.
If you went back and read (or remember) the previous parts to this story, I had him sign a contract when he left regarding paying the rent on time and other money issues. In the contract, I also included a paragraph about KA not being allowed to enter our apartment without him or myself present.
See, she still has his keys. She's driving his truck since he took the motorcycle to NoDak. This is precisely why I put that clause in the contract. He might trust her enough after 5 months to open a bank account together (it goes so much deeper then just sharing all his banking info with her like I originally thought) but I don't. I don't trust her to have a key to my apartment and therefore access to it whenever she likes without my knowledge.
Which brings us to what happened yesterday.
As I was leaving the Twins game, I got a text from KA saying that she was headed through the cities on the way to NoDak and she wanted to stop by and pick up his mail. Excellent, I thought. That saves me postage or something. So I told her I would be home in less than an hour and I'd text her when I got there so she could come over.Her response was along the lines of telling me she had a 9-hour drive ahead of her but "not to worry, she had his key and she'd just let herself in."
The rest of the conversation went like this (copied directly from my texts, word for word):
Me: "If you can wait, I'd prefer that. It shouldn't be too long."
KA: "[roommate] still pays rent and he wants his mail. Since he can't drive over and get it, I am. Unless you'd prefer to pay to ship it all out there."
Me: "The operative word is that HE pays rent, not you. I don't have a problem with you stopping by to get the mail. I just wish you would have asked if you could let yourself in instead of assuming. The mail is in the basket on the sheld in the entryway, but I'm exiting now and will be there shortly."
KA: "And the operative fact is that he can't get it so he asked me to. Also I had no idea when I'd make it up here."
(Apparently, she doesn't really understand the use of the word operative.)
Me: "It's the courtesy of asking, NOT assuming. Like I said, I want him to have his mail and I don't mind you picking it up. Please just give me more warning and don't assume you can let yourself in. I'm home now, so I will get it ready for you."
(Apparently, the time it took me to get home was plenty of time, since she was still 20 minutes after I arrived.)
KA: "And don't assume that since he's not there that the apt is all yours. What you've never seemed to understand is that as long as he pays hald the rent it is still his apt too. And I go by what he says. if you have a problem with that then you talk to the person who rents 50% of that place."
Me: "With all due respect, maybe you should talk to him. He signed a contract before he left agreeing that you could not be here without me or him present. He agreed to that. All I want is common courtesy."
She showed up, I handed her a bag of mail and other stuff. I told her to drive safely and she mumbled "thanks." I don't think he ever told her what he and I discussed. I don't think he ever expected it to cause a problem. And frankly, I don't think he has the spine to tell her when she's out of line. Which is why when I asked for his support during the whole thing he threw me under the bus.
I don't trust her and I don't want her having access to my apartment. Plain and simple. I would have called the landlord about it a while ago, but I need his rent checks to clear so I can pay July's rent. Once that happens, I'm going to pull the plug.
I just don't understand how someone you've been a devoted friend to for many, many years can turn on you so drastically. Respect is huge in my book, once you lose it, gaining it back is a bitch. And along with it goes our friendship; though I will do my best to be respectful back no matter how you act.
6 comments:
That is a bad situation he allowed her to put you in. And clearly, she doesn't have the right to come and go as she pleases. She does not live there, nor does she get any slack just because she's dating him.
I'm sorry crummy situations like that happen. I hope you can rid yourself of all that negativity as soon as possible.
What a crappy situation! That girl has no right being there by herself and letting herself in. What a nut! I've never had good luck with roommates...even if they're friends, it always ends bad. I hope you can work things out with him and repair your friendship. Oh, and if you need any tires slashed, I can go for a "drive"! Hahaha jk.
Whoa, that is totally creepy like Staci said. man, I'd change the locks or get them rekeyed. Then just give the landlady a new key.
There's a little something for you over at my blog. :)
Wow, this girl sounds absolutely ridiculous. I'm sorry that you're STILL having to deal with this =(
wow...that sucks! she has some nerve to think she can come over whenever she pleases, simply because she is dating your room-mate. Thats pretty crappy of him to not stick up for you since he clearly signed the contract stating that she can't come over without you or him present. Sounds like she has him whipped! lol. Anyway I hope it gets better and just realize that it will all be over next month and you can move on with your life, without having crappy people like them in it! Keep your head up hun! :)
Ha ha I'm still laughing at the fact that she used operative incorrectly. I'm so on your side. You are handling it perfectly!
Post a Comment