Friday, January 14, 2011

And the Army Strikes Again...

Cardinal rule of milspouses...don't write something in pen on your calendar.
And you certainly can't count down to anything.

Like a wedding.

As it turns out that "promise" that Al's CO gave him about a 4-day pass the weekend we were getting married was one of those pesky Army-style promises and not the real thing.
To be fair, his CO didn't know that this would happen when he gave Al the OK.

In fact Al's orders came from higher.

He's going to a school. To train on their new vehicles.
Actually to train on how to train others on their new vehicles.

It gets better. Even though the class doesn't start until the Tuesday AFTER we were getting married they are requiring him to travel from Ft. Bliss to Ft. Benning the Thursday before.

And better yet, it's for 6 weeks.

That means we can't get married when he gets back because there won't be enough time to get the paperwork taken care of and an apartment squared away before I move down there this summer.

We're left with getting married sometime in the next month.
The next weekend he can get a 4-day pass to come home we're getting married.

As much as the Army sucks sometimes, Al and I and our families have really rallied through this. And honestly, this just means I get to marry my best friend, my soldier and the greatest man I know that much sooner. This just might be a blessing in disguise.

You can bite me, dear Army, and then I can give you a big hug for giving me all I've ever wanted. Our love-hate relationship will live on forever.

8 comments:

Lou said...

i am so sorry love, i am glad you are looking on the brightside. The army is sure good at trying to break people down, put we need to prove to them we are to strong to break down! I hope things start looking up.

LindseyEveryday said...

Ugh! I hate that! They NEVER do what they say they're going to do. My husband has had duty for the past 2 96's and was in the field last week.. He was promised extra days off for extra duty, but he'll never get them. I can't stand it! His Cpl, takes off all the time though (w/o leave days) to go to "appointments" for his kids. What a joke.. I'm sorry it affected your wedding though. At least you can find the bright side in it! Congrats, btw!

Anonymous said...

How frustrating! Did I see that you will be moving to FT. Benning?

Michelle said...

Grrr. That stinks, but I know you're going to make the best of it.

Jenna said...

I'm sorry to hear that they interfered with your wedding plans. Have you had a chance to apply for your marriage license yet? If not, there's a waiver for the waiting period you can apply for. You may already be aware of it, but I didn't know until I was freaking out about how I was going to get a marriage license when he was down in KY and I was here in MN. Anyway, the point was, if you need help with anything, please let me know. I am local and I work near your school. I will help in anyway I can if you need it. Good luck and Congratulations! :)

d.a.r. said...

You are rolling with the punches a lot better than I would have!

Una said...

You seem to be already finding ways to tell the army they won't win this one :-)
Getting married faster may not be a bad thing after all, you get to start your life together sooner as you said :-)

Rei said...

I'm so sorry... but I'm so happy you found the silver lining in your story. That really made me smile!! :)