Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Getting Fit


Remember this post from last week?
That post about how I haven't worked out a single day since I've been in Texas.

Well, that all came to a head this past weekend.
I pulled on a pair of shorts in a size I've never worn before and realized they were tight.
I stepped on the scale and weighed more then I've ever weighed in my life.

After a discussion with Al, I decided that had to end.
I took a before shot, recorded my weight and measurements and created a plan.
I also plan on updating the stats each Saturday to see if I'm making progress.

Implementing the workout part, surprisingly, isn't that hard for me. I like working out, and when I'm at my healthiest, I typically work out 4 days per week with no problem. Now that I'm out of shape, and out of practice, I implemented some new strategies within my normal workout routine.

The hard part: cutting out snacks & eating smaller, healthier portions.
I love food. Like, really love food.
And what you might call a "healthy" eater. I have always been able to "put it away" so-to-speak. It wasn't until my quarter-life crisis when my metabolism slowed way down that my eating caught up with me a bit.

I did start implementing whole grains and more fruits & veggies along with cutting out high-fat foods and tapering off my carb intake. I'm eating high-protein and low-fat/sugar foods. I'm eating plenty of veggies and switch to iced tea and water instead of diet soda.

But I still need to work on portion size and cutting out useless snacking.
Do I really need a granola bar at 11pm when I'm up late blogging?
Do I need that extra helping of spaghetti or that extra handful of M&M's?

I don't. So, I posted the "before photos" on the inside of my snack cupboard, next to my goals sheet and stats chart. That way, when I walk over there to find something to snack on, I will be deterred by the picture and numbers. Perhaps, I'll even be motivated to do the opposite.

1 comment:

Whim Wham Life said...

Sounds like a plan! I'm definitely trying to get my mind geared up for next year, (after I have my baby), into normal workout mode again. It's gonna kick my butt! xoxo