Did you see what Kim Delaney did last week at Robert Gates' award ceremony?
She gave an incoherent speech in a drunken stupor and in addition to looking like a total train-wreck, wasn't even able to finish before she was kindly escorted off stage.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2011/09/kim-delaney-booted-off-stage-at-military-ceremony/
My first reaction was that she made an absolute fool out of herself. I know she has struggled with alcoholism and been in and out of rehab, but if you know you're speaking at such an engagement, maybe you could sober up for just one night.
Many people are in a tizzy about the fact that she "claimed" she was a military wife; that she talked about her character on Army Wives as though it was real. If you watch through the video, however, I think you will recognize that is not the case. She did not claim that she had that life. Instead, it was meant for dramatic effect that she experienced all these things on a television show and that her heart went out to the families that live it for real.
Of course, her piss-poor delivery did not help convey that message.
http://www.cinemablend.com/pop/Army-Wife-Kim-Delaney-Gives-Incoherent-Speech-Robert-Gates-35371.html
Then, after really chewing on the whole story, I realized that my anger frustration concern was misplaced. Really, whoever decided that she was the right person to give that speech in the first place is to blame. They should have recognized that she would not be able to deliver. She is a second-tier actress who has battled with addiction for years and other then playing a mil-spouse on TV, has little tie to the military community.
What was she doing there in the first place?
So, I open it up to all of you, my beloved readers - what do you think?
3 comments:
That's a good point. Granted, she's still the one who chose to show up loaded, but yeah, the organizers should have seen that coming. Maybe people who actually watch the show do feel a connection to her, but since I don't watch it, I can't speak to that.
I would agree that for such an important event it's unnecessary to get a "famous" speaker when realistically they should have gone for someone who was emotionally connected to Gates in a professional way (such as a previous professor or superior).
Either way, fingers can be pointed to everyone but the fact is that there is not just one person responsible and hopefully those who made the incorrect choices have learned a valuable lesson.
I have to disagree with who is at fault here. Of COURSE they ask someone like her to do that. What really burns me up is that our society, including many military families, have supported these "face" campaigns. We have sat back and accepted the fact that military support= politicians and actors kissing babies and posing with Will and Kate on our behalf. Its totally 100% acceptable to have some random like Kim Delany stand up and give a speech at something like this. That's the message society sends. Kim and the people planning the event are going with what's normal. Its sad. And it needs to change. That's why I've always thought the show Army Wives and things like it are a bad idea. Being in the military or a military family is not about "star power" or posing for a magazine cover but to the outside world it is. So...what else can we expect but crap like this?
Post a Comment