Friday, April 6, 2012

Adulthood and Avoiding Negative People

I've come to a realization recently: I am too darn old to surround myself with people who are negative, mean, or otherwise poisonous personalities. 

While this applies to people in general, I am finding it is a trait most commonly found in women. Prior to law school I had a very small group of female friends. In fact 75% of my friends were men. I simply get along with men better for a multitude of reasons. Certainly, my closest friends are women and always have been, but my extended circle was usually men. As I've gotten older (and married) I have more great women in my life than I do men, and ultimately, my group of friends (real, true, accountable & fun) is small.

I am OK with that. Because most people suck.

To understand more, take a look at this article. The article talks about how the majority of people are either contributors, people who contribute positively the their environment, or contaminators, people who contaminate it. When I say most people suck, I am referring to contaminators. I have found that two of the groups I am most actively involved in are chock full of contaminators: law school and the military (spouses.) 

In law school you develop friendships with a group of people pretty early on and you tend to stay connected to those people through the entire three-year process. The main reason for that is how insulated you are in law school, especially your first year. Add to that the fact that law students are high-strung, sleep-deprived, caffeinated, over-achievers who are competing (literally) for grades and jobs and it can be a toxic environment. 

Military life has its own set of problems. For one, it is a rare time where people from all over the country, from many backgrounds and life experiences, are in one group and again, often insulated from others. Mix in the difficulties of the job and lifestyle (and the roller-coaster of emotions that accompanies it) and it can be difficult to navigate those relationships. 

I recognized the effect this negativity was having on my life in the past 6 months. I would read a Facebook status and scowl, then spend 30 minutes scouring other posts, comments and past notes for more information and then spend another 1 hour stewing over the whole thing internally. This particular example is someone I've never even met in real life - and her complaining had affected almost TWO HOURS of my day. Cutting out that type of negativity was pretty easy, I went through Facebook and promptly deleted anyone that I didn't know (or didn't like) and did the same thing with a few blogs.

It is a lot harder, however, to cut out real-life friends when they start contaminating your environment. For one, many times these friends have contributed some positive things to your friendship. It can also be hard when you are in contact with that person for uncontrollable reasons (i.e. you work together, attend classes together, have mutual friends or your husband's are in the same unit.) 

My feelings on this really came to a head last night. I was supposed to meet a large group of ladies out for cocktails after class. My close friends were among them, but the vast majority were mere acquaintances. I ended up not attending, mostly because my foot was sore and I had a lot of homework. As I drove home, I started feeling guilty.
And then it hit me. I didn't want to be there. I had no desire to hang out with those girls (with the exception of a few) and I had no reason to feel guilty. I made a decision to go home, be relaxed and productive rather than have a few cocktails with people I don't know or like. Why would I ever feel bad about that?  My "epiphany" led me to think more about how I should choose my friends - if I don't enjoy them, if they're not contributors - then they are not really worth my time. 

Now, in order to fully purge negative people from my life, I have to be brutally honest. I am a negative person, sometimes. I have bad days. I complain. I gossip. I am even mean on occasion. I have to recognize that if I truly want to address this matter head-on. I have to commit to change my own negative tendencies - after all, if I act in a negative way, then I am just poisoning the people around me. The people I actually care about.


So, for this to truly matter in my life, I have to make sure that, as much as possible, I am a contributor. And then surround myself with contributors whenever I can. 
'Cause those contaminators just ain't worth my time! :)

6 comments:

Samantha said...

I can definitely relate. I've been a part of the military community since I joined in 2006 and found all walks of life since then.
I have always been one of the guys and that's why I have a hard time making friends with females.
However, once I started cosmetology school, I found that it was so much easier when the females are civilians.
I've had to delete a ton of military wives because the constant nagging and drama was too much to bear.

I'll Love You Forever said...

I loved this post. I need to be more of a contributor! Hope your foot is feeling better, have a great weekend!

JG said...

So, so true. I've said more than once, the Army is turning me into a misogynist. I say it facetiously, but still. Everyone has bad days, and I am as bad as anybody at going for a period of time where I only contact someone to complain. Part of that is who you surround yourself with, like you say. I've had to stop following many people on facebook, blogs and twitter because the negative energy was too much. Sometimes I think it's good to stick it out and try to be a positive influence, but there does come a point where you have to say, "No more."

Sam said...

This is so entirely true. I have always off the bat gotten along better with guys and definitely have a pretty small circle of girlfriends. Since moving from home, I have really begun to weed out who my REAL friends are and who I want to surround myself with. Great post!!

Michelle said...

What a thought-provoking post! I read this on my phone and actually was able to rub 2 brain cells together to remember to come home and comment! I definitely cutting toxic people out of your life is easier said than done because every once in awhile I have to pop on to fb or send an email to see how they're doing and it's like opening a can of worms. Of course maybe I'm the contaminator in their lives...

Nina said...

I couldn't agree more.

I have built a long career in the hi-tech industry, mainly working with men, and have always been one of the guys. While the environment is competitive at the same time it is fair: no games, less backstabbing, more being straightforward. And it all is different in the military environment.

While I have tons of acquittances among the military spouses, it has been a challenge to make good friends. Maybe I am sometimes too cynical but I simply avoid people who create the unnecessary drama, or otherwise "contaminate" their environment.