I finally did it! I had my first boxing class! Depending on how long you've followed me, you might know that I've had this goal for over a year. I even signed up for classes two different times before and for one reason or another, didn't go. This time, I went. It was at a Crossfit gym, and to fully understand how intense this boxing/cross-training/bootcamp workout was, you need to watch this video.
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee." - Muhammad Ali
My bff and I went together, safety in numbers in case we felt like fools or bowed out early. I'm proud to say we stuck it out to the bitter, bitter end. Which, by the way, the instructor called the "soul-crushing" portion on the workout. And let me tell you, soul crushing it was. My muscles are shredded - every last one of them. I have pain in my calves, my butt cheeks and even the palm of my hands. I'm hunched over like a grandma and I cringe every time I move. I'm sure Mr. Ali was referring to "stinging" the other guy in a fight, but based on the level of pain I'm in two days later, I'm not so sure.
And yet, the workout was amazing. I have never been pushed so hard and sweat so much!
On top of that, I'm learning to box. That was the whole point after all. We learned punching and kicking technique, along with sequences to get the most out of your punches. We practiced on punching bags and then we paired off and used pads. Next session, we're supposed to learn more blocks and ducks and other strategies. I'm not signing up to get in a ring any time soon, let's not get crazy, but I love that it requires the perfect blend of strength and gracefulness.
And I have cool pink boxing gloves
I might feel like crap, but you should see the other guy...Oh wait...
Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4
5 comments:
Sounds fun!!! Love the boxing gloves.
Oh, I can't wait to hear more about how it's going. I've wanted to try it and found a gym...just before I moved. Oh well, I can live through you!
Awesome! Sounds fun! And Crossfit is SO intense!
Love your picture! Sounds like a lot of fun!
I have ALWAYS wanted to take up boxing! So fun! Congrats!
Post a Comment