Monday, June 17, 2013

Garage Sale Outcome

After a mildly successful Friday and Saturday, we decided to stay open into Sunday and see if we could get rid of a few more things. Many of our big ticket items were still there and we knew if the right people came by, they'd pick them up. Our friends got rid of some of their bigger items and did very well. Still, it made sense to stay open a third day and see what we could do.

I'm glad we did. Sunday's patronage yielded better results than the first two days combined. We hit some of the after-church crowd and another batch of women who were probably out and about in order to let dad enjoy his day at home. 

We made a couple hundred dollars. Not as good as I would have liked, but not bad at all. And we definitely purged a lot of crap even if we didn't make much money. We decided to hang on to the leftovers and have another sale in late-August or early September. That will give us time to rally the neighbors and see if they want to participate and refresh some of the supply so there are new things to offer the second time around. 

The only thing I will do differently in August is get/make better garage sale signs. I picked some up at the dollar store and while they were bold in color, they were difficult to read and came with cheap, plastic stakes. After the first day, one was completely destroyed and the others were flimsy and falling over. Next time, I will build substantial holders and make BIG, neon signs indicating where the sale is. 

For my first garage sale (without the fam) I'm pretty happy. There's a bit of a learning curve and figuring out your neighborhood before you can really master a garage sale. I'm pleased with the results and look forward to trying again in the fall!

2 comments:

ines said...

glad it turned out well!!!

JG said...

Glad it was a success!