Saturday, June 1, 2013

Saturday Share: Great Business and Networking Resources

A couple weeks ago, I had coffee with a military spouse who also happens to be a licensed Psychologist. Smart, driven, and completely lost on how to build a business in a brand new state. She asked if she could pick my brain about networking and building contacts when you're starting from scratch. 

I didn't know going into our coffee date, what I would tell her. I honestly wasn't sure if I was a great networker or just got lucky when I moved to Colorado. A few minutes in, I started spouting off the resources I used to find groups, certain personality skills I developed to help with the face-to-face interactions, and how I track my networking contacts. She looked at me, wide-eyed, and said: "so you're basically a networking genius." 

I smiled and responded that it was mostly luck and high-level organization that made my method a success. I also reminded her that it might not work for everyone in every field. But it had worked for me and, yes, I was pretty good at it.

So, today, I put together some resources to help build networking skills. Whether you're a budding photog trying to get your portfolio out there or a licensed psychologist trying to build a practice, there will be something here to help you with that endeavor. As always, email me if you have any questions!

In General


In-Person Networking, Like a Boss - via Successful Military Wife

The Power of Personal Networks - via Get Rich Slowly

How to Build a Personal Network (Genuinely) - via Lifehacker

The specifics

No comments: