Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Road Trippin' with Grandma from Just a Girl

{Hey all! I am currently driving to Texas, with my car stuffed to the windows, blasting old Backstreet Boys while my sister and I sing along. I'm going to be out for a couple of days to account for travel, recovery and unpacking time. Oh, and to shower my husband with kisses and other signs of affection. In the meantime, you are lucky to have a couple of my favorite bloggers making guest appearances in my absence.}

Continuing with my lovely lady bloggers, I've got Just a Girl. She's an ex-Army-girlfriend, turned super-Army supporter and a good friend. Because, really, once you're part of the Army family, you never really leave, do ya!? Anyway, she was also one of the first gals I met on the mil-blogger block. Today, she recalls one of her road-tripping adventures.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’m so honored that Mel, one of my first blogging friends, asked me to write a guest post for her while she’s busy road-tripping it down to Texas to spend the summer with Al.

When I sat down to write this little post for her, I started thinking of all the road trips I have been on (and believe me there have been many). My family went on at least one major road trip every year, but there is one trip that sticks out in my mind: Our family road trip to Canada.

This trip was masterminded by my grandma (yes, the infamous grandma for those of you that are familiar with my blog). We drove from Idaho to various places within Western Canada and we were gone for 3 weeks. Oh, and did I mention we were camping in my grandma’s 5th wheel the whole time? Now I’m not princess, and camping is definitely fun… for a few days at a time. A week, at the most. Three weeks of camping was not something I was on board for, even at the age of 10. I was also the one that got stuck with sleeping in the same bed with grandma since my parents got the “master” bed and my brother “couldn’t sleep with someone else.” I would like the record to state that I told him I was going to use that excuse and that little brat stole it from me before I had the chance. Sorry, can you tell I’m still a little bitter?

Although there were many life lessons learned on this trip one sticks out in my mind above all. When we pulled up to one of the various campsites we were staying at for the night my grandma decided it would be a good time for me to learn how to empty the “waste” tank of the 5th wheel. If you’re not familiar, you have to attach a big blue hose to the tank and it empties out. I was not thrilled with being assigned this task, because really, who wants to be responsible for emptying out the poop tank? Plus at this point I was pretty disenchanted with being in a car for multiple hours everyday and my attitude was probably not the greatest. Anyway, there were some technical difficulties and the waste was not draining, so my grandma sent me to investigate the hose to see if I could figure out what the problem was. Well, I decided that it would be a good idea to pick up the hose and look inside of it to see if there was a clog in it or something (yeah, I may not have had a lot of common sense). Anyway, when I picked up the hose it apparently released a kink and with all the pressure that had built up well, let’s just say that there was a “waste” explosion all over my face. Lesson learned; never investigate the exit end of poop hose. Y’all can thank me later.

Oh, the trip culminated in my dad’s car breaking down on the second to last day of our trip in some intersection in the middle of nowhere Montana. My mom and I had to hop out and push the car through the intersection. Fun times.

And in case you were wondering; no, my family has not joined in on any “grandma” planned trips since.

~Just A Girl~

No comments: