I am an incredibly decisive person. My process is simple: I am faced with a decision; I quickly weigh the options and outcomes; I make a choice and I execute. My thought is that you can't plan for all the contingencies of life. In fact, you can "plan" for very few of them.

found here
So, I make the best decision I can, within the controllable parameters and I implement my decision with the idea that I will likely have to adjust my plan or alter my course as things change. As I work towards the end-goal, I am acutely aware of alternatives and the things that could go wrong, as well as the ways to soften the blow. That doesn't stop me from moving ahead on execution.
found here
Which is why my husband drives me crazy.
He is very meticulous when making decisions. He is very thorough and wants to adequately assess the entire situation, from every angle, before he springs into action. Once he does, he will execute flawlessly (for the most part) but it is a long process to get there.
Don't get me wrong, I see the value in making a thoroughly informed decision. He is only being responsible for our lives and our future. He is doing what works for him. But it drives me absolutely batty - especially when I think a decision has been made and I start making moves towards implementation only to have the plan change (usually more than once.)
found here
I guess I should have known when he visited 15 different diamond stores before buying my engagement ring, that he would be that way. He wants to be fully informed, especially if it involves spending money. I should be grateful our styles differ so much - it makes me slow down and take stock of more factors and it puts a fire under his ass to arrive at a decision sooner - and we make good decisions.
Sometimes, though, I just wish he would "roger and execute." :o)
What do you do when your decision-making style differs drastically from your spouse?
4 comments:
OMG, OccDoc either does things on an impulse or takes FOREVER to make up his mind. Once I decide, I decide and that's that. He goes back and forth agonizing. You have no idea how many times I've utter 'Just f*cking pick something' in the grocery store to him. I mean, it's peanut butter, how hard is that? But sometimes he'll just go out and do things on a whim (usually the big things). How is it he agonizes over peanut butter, but not new tires for his car?
My husband and I were just discussing this last night. It drives him crazy that I can't make a quick decision because he is used to deciding pretty quickly due to the nature of his job...Like you said, "roger and execute". It sounds like we're flip-flopped.
And to answer your question- We don't handle it well. lol ;)
HAH! I love this post. btw I am a somewhat new follower, I was lurking for a while, but finally jumped on the blogger bandwagon. N and I are totally different. He will browse and browse and then browse some more researching before making a decision. It once took him probably about a month to decide which luggage he should buy! I tend to research, but on a lesser scale, and make a decision fairly quickly, and I do tend to go with gut instincts. It doesn't always work well for us, but we're working on it!
Oh man. This was our weekend. First, we were going to buy a dresser. After driving around and coming up empty, we come home and SoldierMan pulls up various websites to buy a dresser. Anyway, after an HOUR, I finally just tell him to narrow it down to four or five and let me pick from that. I can't handle more options than those. He's good at narrowing down to a few choices, not pulling the trigger. I get overwhelmed with options easily, and have trouble making decisions, so the fewer choices, the better. Seriously, an HOUR to pick out a dresser. And don't even get me started on the whole car-buying process yesterday. I still have a headache.
Post a Comment