Tuesday, August 7, 2012

We bought a house...Almost

I debated posting this, because it's not final yet and I thought that by putting my excitement in the the universe, I'd somehow be jinxing it. But let's be real...My excitement is plenty obvious and, well, I don't really believe that things can be "jinxed." Not really, anyway. 

I have hinted a few times at the fact that we had contracted to buy a home, but let me back up the story a little bit...

Our current lease is up in September, so we had already placed a deposit on a nice, little two-bedroom apartment back in June. We liked that it was a definite upgrade (the extra room, a fireplace, laundry in unit) and the rent didn't increase much from our current place. Especially once we received that "we're raising your rent letter." At first, I was satisfied with the new apartment, happy with the upgrades (definitely happy with the in-unit laundry) and glad we weren't going to break the bank doing it. Panic set in (admittedly, at least partially induced by bar exam stress) when I realized how little storage we had and that we were actually down-sizing space-wise. I let it go, knowing we needed to be frugal with our money and focus on paying down my school loans. 

One day Al comes to me and says "we should really think about buying instead of renting again." He told me that he crunched the numbers and thought we could afford it, but at the very least, we should look into it. 

Saturday, the next day, we dropped into the Re/Max on our way home from the grocery store. We met with a realtor and she printed off some home listings that fit with our needs and budget. We narrowed down the list and the following Monday toured our top-10 homes. The last home we looked at, shortly after 8pm, caught our eye. We returned on Tuesday to get a daytime view and placed an bid that evening. By 10am, our hid was accepted and we started the banking and contract process. 

The whole thing happened in less than 4 days. So fast. 

It's not that easy, of course. We have to work around a few issues with the VA loan and the HUD rules for the home sale. Our realtor is spectacular and our lender has busted his butt for us from minute one. We have an excellent team working with us to see the whole thing through and we are very excited. Al is certain we will get the house and that these are just hoops to jump through. I am more cautious, although, I tend to be overly careful when buying such an expensive thing!

Tomorrow, I will try to get some pictures up and share with you the actual house details. Are you excited? I sure am!

2 comments:

Jen said...

How wonderful!!!!!! Good luck. :)

Christine said...

That's so exciting!!!