Tuesday, November 16, 2010

See one, do one, teach one

My good friend said that quote to me yesterday.
She's sort of a smarty-pants who comes from a family of smarty-pants, so she knows a thing or two about a thing or two. (I can say this because she will read this later, recall our conversation and laugh.)

You see, I applied for a fellowship with school called the Marshall Brennan Program.
It places current law students into high-school classrooms to teach teens what their rights are within the Constitution and the law. I get school credit and I get to help high-schoolers get an education.

Or at least try. I'm not naive enough to think that they'll all walk into the classroom eager to learn (not all high-schoolers are like I was!) I will also be working in schools with a lot of diversity and a varying array of students. All of this poses an exciting challenge.

The one thing I know is that teaching is the best way to learn something. I'm no longer the only one affected by my preparation, so I better know my stuff. In the process, I can learn the topic better, and maybe learn myself a little better too.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HEY! That's me! She's talking about me, everybody! :-)

Michelle said...

Teaching IS the best way to learn something! And I know my teaching - Masters in Adult Education. What an exciting project for you! I can't wait to hear more.