Saturday, February 12, 2011

Ch-ch-ch-changes!

I promised I would give you more details on what is going on with my life.

It's not really a lot of changes, but rather just one BIG change.

I quit my job.

I have been working at a law firm for about 8 months now and while it was a good experience it was doing more harm in my life than good.
The American Bar Association does not allow law students to work more than 20 hours per week (or at least get paid for them.)

Since I'm already a research representative at school, I was working the 15 hours per week I could fit in. On top of the 11 class hours, 6 teaching hours, endless homework hours and everything else, I was basically doing 10-hour days, 7 days per week.

And it was starting to wear on me.
I get less then 6 hours of sleep each night, I wake up over half of my mornings with a migraine or at least a headache. Which wouldn't have been nearly as bad if I wasn't missing classes or work here and there.

On top of all of that, I haven't been able to keep up on cleaning, laundry and other basic tasks around my place. And with the intention of moving to Texas for the summer, I really needed the spare time to plan for that.

It was actually a very hard decision.
I don't like quitting things and I've always been a "busy" person. In fact, in undergrad I worked full-time all through school and was even busier than I am now.
So walking away from something like this is not really my style.
But something needed to change.

{Side note: If I was getting a lot of legal experience or skills that would benefit my future career, I might have made a different decision. I am, however, not doing a job that will help further my law career in any way other than the fact that I now know more attorneys than I did before. Now, I don't mean that with any disrespect to the firm, because I did appreciate my time there. But I think we could both agree that it wasn't going to be a long-term fit for either me or them.}

After working through a budget with Al and realizing that I didn't need to keep my job to safely pay the bills, it was a pretty easy decision.

This week will be my last week at work.
That gives me two months to focus on school, my health and my marriage and prepare to move to Texas in May. I can't wait to have more time to focus on classes and my teaching fellowship. I can't wait to cook more, go to the gym and get more sleep.
I will be healthier and happier.

This is SO the right decision for me and I'm ready.
Bring on Friday!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Quitting a job is always really bittersweet for me. I'm glad you're going to have more time for school, feeling better and your marriage, of course!

KAE said...

Good luck, i'm sure that you made the right decision and I have also realized that you need to do what is best for you and your family!