Lately, I have had a problem. I am spending a lot of time sitting around my house doing nothing. Arguably, I am actually doing a lot: work, blogging, Pinteresting ideas for the new house (which is important, despite what my husband says!), and other computer related things. I always make sure to clean up the kitchen, make the bed, and tidy up around the house. If errands need doing, I do them. The problem is that my new job only gets me out of the house one day per week in order to meet my boss at the office and go over my progress. I will try to schedule another set of appointments on a second day so I am forced out of the house then too. Other than that, I'm inside doing various things and it isn't until Al comes home after work that I realize I've been pent up all day with no human interaction. Which means I'm obnoxious and drive him crazy!
Then, this week, he made a few comments along the lines of: "so what did you do today?" and "why didn't you get X done?" He's not trying to be rude, and he knows that I am actually getting something done throughout the day, but they tend to be things he can't see. That bothers him. He wants tangible, visible progress. He wants more concrete completion of projects.
I get that. I really do. But sometimes it's nice to sit on the couch with my computer and plug through spreadsheets, organization binders and work projects. On the other hand, I completely hate the feeling of laziness that comes after two days of doing that. And I certainly don't want Al to think that I'm being a bum - ever.
We are canceling our cable on Monday (I begged him to wait until after Army Wives on Sunday!) We are a month from moving and are going to be doing a lot of packing and finishing paperwork on the home. I have a life insurance class next week and things will start to ramp up with work once I take that exam. Finally, I have a job interview Monday night to coach gymnastics a couple of nights per week.
I think things are, finally, starting to fill up the calendar and feel like a "normal" routine. That should get me out of the house, doing things Al can actually see (such as a little extra paycheck), and it will get some human interaction so I am a more bearable person in the evenings! I'm definitely ready to stop lounging around (or being lazy, whatever you want to call it) and start embracing a full calendar and diverse batch of activities!
Then, this week, he made a few comments along the lines of: "so what did you do today?" and "why didn't you get X done?" He's not trying to be rude, and he knows that I am actually getting something done throughout the day, but they tend to be things he can't see. That bothers him. He wants tangible, visible progress. He wants more concrete completion of projects.
I get that. I really do. But sometimes it's nice to sit on the couch with my computer and plug through spreadsheets, organization binders and work projects. On the other hand, I completely hate the feeling of laziness that comes after two days of doing that. And I certainly don't want Al to think that I'm being a bum - ever.
We are canceling our cable on Monday (I begged him to wait until after Army Wives on Sunday!) We are a month from moving and are going to be doing a lot of packing and finishing paperwork on the home. I have a life insurance class next week and things will start to ramp up with work once I take that exam. Finally, I have a job interview Monday night to coach gymnastics a couple of nights per week.
I think things are, finally, starting to fill up the calendar and feel like a "normal" routine. That should get me out of the house, doing things Al can actually see (such as a little extra paycheck), and it will get some human interaction so I am a more bearable person in the evenings! I'm definitely ready to stop lounging around (or being lazy, whatever you want to call it) and start embracing a full calendar and diverse batch of activities!
1 comment:
I know what you mean, it is nice to be out and about within civilization instead of cooped up at home.
Post a Comment