Friday, January 11, 2013

2013 Goals: #4 - Enhance Home

When we first bought our house last year, we hit the ground running and completed a few major renovation projects right away. With the holidays and budget concerns, we stalled most progress until after the new year. 

Well, that time has come and I have three major things I want to accomplish in the house this year: 

1. Finish upstairs guest bath and room. The bath is already gutted and floors have been relaid. The rest of the project should only take a long weekend to complete. The guest room will be a little more involved since we have used it as a storage/linen/Army room - and the fact that we have no bedroom furniture. I guess I'm going to be hitting some major thrift stores and garage sales this summer!

2. Remove radon from basement. We had this tested during inspection and bought the house knowing it was too high for livability. Our thought was that so long as it was only the two of us, we could basically use the basement as storage and otherwise close it off. I want to do the radon-removal and vent system this summer so we can start developing that space into an entertainment and guest space.

3. Outdoor revival. Our lawn is dead and needs some serious CPR. We want to re-pour our front step and pour a patio out back. We also want to re-paint the deck, re-secure some wobbly spots, and perhaps even build a fire pit. Al will be putting in a large garden spot in the spring for veggies and herbs. 

Originally, when we bought the house, I expected that the first thing on my list was to pull up all the carpet and lay hardwood throughout the entire house. That is still a priority, but I am realistic about our budget and the fact that this is not our forever-dream-home. It's likely we will move in 5 years and use it as a rental. Therefore, it will probably be a while before hardwood goes in. In the meantime, the above projects should give the house the facelift it needs (and fill plenty of our time in 2013!)

1 comment:

Taylor @ DearOlympia.com said...

These are some great practical goals! I can't wait to see your progress.