Saturday, January 12, 2013

2013 Goals: #5 - Improve Health

I saved this category for last. It is not that I don't think about my health already, it is just that this is the category where I have the largest ability to let myself down. But I suppose my awareness of that fact is the right way to start, huh? 

That said, I'm not going to "lose 20 lbs." or "shake 2 pants sizes." I'm not even going to "workout twice per week." Let's be real, those goals are not going to happen. (We're two weeks into the year and other than the times I break a sweat when I'm coaching, I don't exercise.) It doesn't mean those things can't happen, it just means I am not going to make them a goal and set myself up for failure. Instead, I am going to focus on overall health and making my eating habits a priority, and, hopefully, the other stuff naturally follows.

Here are my goals: 

1. Quit smoking. This is a bit of a cheat, due to the fact that I actually "quit" in 2012. It should read "remain smoke-free" but I did cheat on NYE (it's really hard to drink wine and not smoke) and Al is still smoking, which makes my temptation all the more in-your-face. So, I intend on still being smoke-free when 2014 rolls around!

2. Eat more mindfully. Cut sweets down to once per week. Avoid the second snack (defeats the purpose of a low-cal way to take the edge off) during the work day. Pack a lunch so I don't grab junk or fast food. Cut down on soda (only for social occasions and to mix with Crown.) These small changes will help me feel better and look better. 

3. Take a daily vitamin. I used to do this. I got sick a little less often and had clear skin. It is also a good way to sneak some pre-natals into my system, so when we finally decide to try again my body is ready!

This is the last of my five wishes for 2013. I will check in on my goals throughout the year, though not as regularly as I did in 2012. Here's to a purposeful, healthy, and successful 2013!!

1 comment:

JG said...

Oooh, a vitamin! That's a good idea!