After painting my file cabinet in a lovely chalkboard paint, I purchased a cheapie pack of chalk to doodle and label the drawers. After less than 10 minutes of use, I decided that not only was my handwriting and artistic capabilities severely limited by the use of standard chalk, I didn't like the mess. So, I jumped on Amazon and purchase a NEOchalk chalk pen.
The original standard chalk
Doodles with the NEOchalk pen
As you can see, the doodles were brighter and had cleaner lines than regular chalk. I was very pleased with the results. But, when it came time to clean off the cabinet so I could organize better, I found myself in a pickle. The NEOchalk drawing did not come off!
It faded quite a bit, but it is still there. Luckily, I had only drawn the one doodle before I marked up the whole cabinet, but I was still disappointed that the drawing did not erase easily like regular chalk did. Further, the pen itself did not come with special removal instructions. I used a damp rag at first and then a light soap solution the second time around. Still no luck!
The pen instructions indicate the pen can be used on "glass, windows, board and all non-porous surfaces," which I presumed the cabinet to be. After all, it is metal with two-coats of chalkboard paint on top.
I hope with time and a few more runs with a rag and cleaner, that I can get the design off. If not, I will have to move on with a slightly-faded doodle of a butterfly on the top corner of the cabinet. Either way, I will not use the pen for this purpose again - perhaps I will try a few other surfaces and see if those work better. For now, I would avoid using this pen on chalkboard surfaces, unless you have a scrap piece to do a trial run first!
**I was not compensated for this review. I purchased the item from my own funds and chose to review the product on my own accord. The views are honest and my own.



1 comment:
That stinks! We had chalkboard pens we used at the massage studio. I had to scrub and scrub to get them off the chalkboard, and then it wasn't a complete erase. There was always a 'halo' of where the pen had been. Maybe ask a barista at Starbucks or a local diner with a chalkboard what kind of chalkboard pens they use. But for the no mess/no dust aspect of things I do love the chalkboard pens!
Post a Comment