Thursday, March 24, 2011

Airport

Since I had an early flight this morning, I gave myself an hour and a half to check in, get through security and find my gate. That's plenty of time, right?

Apparently not.

Fast forward through having to show three forms of I'D since I booked the flight under my maiden name. Fast forward through the 5 yr old who sat on my foot for 20 minutes while we waited in line for security. Fast forward through the strip, squat, shuffle, oh, AND the full body scan in order to get through the checkpoint. My flight was taking off in 5 minutes and I had to get clear across the terminal.

Apparently God wanted me on the flight too, because as I was half-running, half skipping through the airport, with ny carry on in one hand and my jacket on only half of my body, one of those golf cart shuttles came up and asked if I needed a ride.

"Never more in my life." I squeaked out while catching my breath."Thank you, thank you."

I gave him a $5. That was probably too much, but he literally saved my ass. I can't imagine what I would have done if I had missed my flight. Probably curl into a ball and cry.

The ticket clerk smiled, said "you just made it, take a deep breath" and helped me to my seat. By the time I sat down, we were starting our taxi to the runway. I seriously BARELY caught that plane.

Now I'm sitting here at O'Hare waiting for my connection to El Paso. I'm giddy like a school girl to see my husband. Next time, though, the trip could be just a little less exciting and I'd be OK.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yikes! I'm glad you made it!

Julie said...

Oh, my gosh sweetie! I'm so sorry for all your stress!

But I'm so glad that you made your flight and that you are safely on your way. At least that part of your trip is over and you have an exciting trip to tell. ;)

Love you bunches!

Anonymous said...

This type of thing happened to us once. We were flying back to FL from OK. I was exhausted and I read the gate number wrong. It said 2B but I thought it said 28. We had to take a train to get to another terminal and we were already cuttin it close. We got to gate 26 and that was the last gate. My husband HAD to be on the flight... we ended up RUNNING with two little kids and two bags a piece. I spent the whole time praying in what can ONLY be considered a chant. I'm sure people thought I was nuts. I literally collapsed on the check in desk at the gate asking if we'd missed the flight. The attendent said they had held the plane for us. It had to be God because there is no way they should have known to do that. That's actually the last time we flew. lol

Have a great time with your husband! :-)

Natalie said...

i had a VERY similar experience when going to my husband's homecoming. glad the airport gods were smiling down on you, too!!

Field of Dreams said...

Wow! Glad you made it:) Enjoy your time with your husband!!!!