Thursday, June 21, 2012

Homesick

This was a week of exciting events back home in Minnesota. 

Yesterday, my best friend (of 15+ years) got engaged to a wonderful man! 
(not my photo - from Caroline's FB)
I am so happy for the two of them - the ring is beautiful and they are great for each other! I want so badly to take Caroline out for wine, gush over her ring, and start talking about all the wedding musts! Caroline is like a sister to me, really, and I am sad to be missing the whole thing. 

Today, is my sister's 23rd birthday. {I don't know why, but that number is infinitely scarier than the 2-8 I turned last month.} She has this BIG weekend of events planned with all of her friends, and even some of mine, and I'm missing it. Again, I'm sad that I cannot share in the event and celebrate with her! Of course, that comes with the territory, and I can't fly home for every birthday, but still...

I've never been away from home long enough to miss these big events. Even last summer, when I was away for three months, I knew I was coming back, so I could "catch up" at that time. This time, I miss everyone so much. I am excited to be in the same place as Al and to start our lives together. But as I sit here in our apartment, alone (while he is gone for yet another field training), it's hard not to be terribly homesick. 

Still, my heart is full of excitement and love for my friends and family back home, celebrating such wonderful milestones!
Congratulations, Caroline and Andy! Happy Birthday, Ginger-cake!
It won't be long before we can celebrate together, hopefully...

No comments: