Monday, September 17, 2012

Mel's Big List of Beauty Must-Haves

Among the moving chaos this weekend, the fact that our water just got turned on this afternoon, and I hadn't touched my work projects in almost a week meant that this post got seriously delayed. Please forgive me (and read on!)

The Basics:
My number one cannot-leave-the-house-without-it item is chapstick. So basic and yet so necessary. I like the blue tube - which includes a moisturizer and SPF. Their botanicals are great as well, but I'm a pretty habitual person and tend not to sway from the blue tube.

My everyday body lotion is Aveeno. At night, I like to use Aromatherapy Sleep Lotion (found at Bath & Body Works) It is calming and tends to help me sleep. It is also a very light lotion so you don't go to bed greasy. They also have a stress relief lotion that is equally nice. 

Face: 
I wear very little face makeup. I will sometimes put on a powder compact, but so rarely that I don't really have a product recommendation on that. I do use a concealer for blemishes and uneven spots. For that, I use Covergirl. 

I use a face moisturizer (with built-in SPF - very important) and facial cleanser, both by Aveeno. At night, before bed, I take off my makeup using Olay Facial Cloths

Eyes:
I am not at all picky about eye shadow. I have tried many options ranging from Wet n' Wild to drug store brands to fancy department store versions. The expensive ones are legitimately nicer, cover better, and do not crease. They are, however, expensive and I tend to sacrifice the slight increase in quality for a cheaper option. 

I know so little about mascara. Even though it is the only thing I am guaranteed to put on my face every.single.day. I still have no go-to brands. I usually buy something on sale or that I have a coupon for. I do replace my mascara every 3 months to keep it from getting dry (which causes those no-no clumps). If that is too frequently for you, a good rule of thumb is no longer than 6 months OR when it starts to smell.

What I do know about eye makeup is that a great eyelash curler goes a long way. I know, it looks like a torture device and can't possibly make a big enough difference, but it really does. I use it once pre-mascara to shape the lashes and then again post-application to solidify the mascara.

The other eye-makeup tip I have is to invest in a good set of brushes. If you are at all a regular makeup-wearer, you will be pleased to know that a large portion of make-up quality is application. I like the Sonia Kashuk brushes from Target, which come in a variety of shapes and angles, but two or three different sizes is perfect for makeup application for different occasions and techniques.

Lips:
I am a huge lipstick advocate. Even on light makeup days, where all I put on is a swipe of mascara, I still like to carry a lipstick shade (or three, admittedly) in my purse. It gives me an insta-confidence boost and usually pulls together my look on an otherwise schlubbish (made that up - but using it again!) day. I like pretty much every Revlon lip product on the market. My go-to red is their Super-Lustrous and my favorite peachy-pink is their Colorburst Lip Butter.

I also love lip gloss and my absolute, undeniable favorite is C.O. Bigelow Mentha Lip Shine (found at Bath & Body Works) in any of the amazing colors. They all taste like mint, so you can't go wrong!

Other: 
For a night out, I will finish off my face with a mist of Urban Decay All-Nighter Spray. It acts as hairspray for for face (without tasting like it, yuck!) and keeps your make-up on for a long event or night out dancing. 

The other go-to make up trick is to help get my lipstick to stay on for more than ten minutes and one coffee. Baby powder. So easy - just blot the powder on your lips so they are dry then apply lipstick. Make sure to blot. The powder keeps the color from falling into the cracks of your lips and acts as a bonding agent so it stays on longer. The brands of lipstick I like are never going to be "all-day wear" like they claim, but this little trick certainly extends their life.

Hair:
Last year, when I spent the summer in El Paso, I hit my local Ulta before I left and asked for a product that would help protect my hair from sun damage. I already heat style almost daily and knew the extra sun attention would probably destroy my hair. The clerk recommended Paul Mitchell Seal & Shine. This stuff is amazing! It does an amazing job protecting against heat styling as well as providing a nourishing layer of protectant from the sun's heat. Think about it, you put SPF on your skin and lips, why not on your hair!?

For the rest of my hair product needs, I use Tresemme products. Yes, they are more expensive, but I have found them to be far superior and worth the extra couple bucks. My two favorite Tresemme products are the dry shampoo and the Tres Two Extra Firm hairspray.

I am not particular on shampoo and conditioner. I usually buy with a coupon or whatever has a good deal at Target. There are, however, two more things on my must-have hair list: blonde bobby pins and a round brush for blow drying. You would not believe how much a simple hair-matched bobby pin can transform an awful hair day, simply by tucking a flyaway or humidity-induced curl. 

**Note: I was not compensated by any of these companies, nor do any of them know I am writing these reviews. All opinions are my own and reflect my true feelings on the product. 

1 comment:

Jen said...

I agree about not leaving the house without chapstick, I swear I go through several tubes a month haha.