Per the request of my lovely friend, Mrs. OccDoc at Annoyed Army Wife, I am going to share a story about a pet we had when I was a teenager.
A ferret.
Well don't be fooled.
My sister was 10 when she decided she NEEDED a pet, and my parents obliged.
We were told that ferrets were a great indoor pet for a little girl. They were cat-like in many ways, but much more playful. They could be litter-box trained and run free in the house, or they could be kept in a cage like a guinea pig.
What they didn't tell us was that they were EXTREMELY stinky animals. They have a very musky scent, so unless they are bathed almost daily, the smell is offensive. Add a cage, a litter box, and a 10-yr-old who doesn't do her chores and you have a very smelly situation.
Additionally, ferrets are extremely agile creatures. They can fit into very small areas and have been known to climb into vents or the back of appliances. Ours climbed into the couch through a hole it created in the back and would wedge itself into a corner. This wouldn't be as big of an issue if it wasn't a couch with springs and we were afraid we would sit down and obliterate the darn thing.
There were good things about Annie too (Annie Terref, by the way. Ferret backwards. Yep, my sister came up with that all on her own...) She was very playful and a lot of fun.
But after about 2 years, we were tired and my sister had moved on to wanting a cat instead. So, we sent Annie off to another home. The guy who bought her already had ferrets, so we figured that would be a good place for her to go.
She was fun while she lasted but I can say my desire to have a pet of that nature has been satisfied. No cages or rodents for me.

4 comments:
Ha ha! I think everyone I've ever know with a ferret has lost their ferret in the couch numerous times.
Anytime I have ever been around a ferret, the only thing I could focus on was how bad they stunk! My friend had two, which she bathed religiously & they still reeked.
Amen to that one..the girls have a guinia pig and that thing smells awful...my first question is always...when's the last time the cage was cleaned?
Haha reminds me of how last year my little sister desperately wanted a couple rats as pets. they were cute for the first few weeks but she quickly tired of them and their stink, so she stopped taking care of them, leaving it up to my mom and I. We finally gave them away last month!
Post a Comment