Wednesday, October 6, 2010

This is It

Once again, life has foiled my previous plans for posting this morning.
Since many of you are already my friends on Facebook, you know my news:

Al and I are engaged!

Yep. A simple, wonderful evening led to the thing I've been thinking about (and trying NOT to think about) for weeks. Hell, for months.

The evening was mellow, low-key and sweet.
I got home from class about 9 and we had Jimmy Johns (like Subway) for dinner along with a bottle of red. Then we played a game of Scrabble.

You know in Scrabble when you have to start plugging in left over tiles that don't make longer words? Well, Al started doing that, but jokingly. Just connecting two or three vowels to the end of something and pronouncing it funny. Then he did this:
And said, "you know, like 'ya-ow.'"
I looked at him, blinked, and said "that's the word you. Like, you know, YOU are silly."

He realized his mistake and laughed.
And we carried on with the rest of the game.
I won. It's not so much my extreme skill and high-level of smarts (modest, eh?), because Al is insanely smart also. He got a bum deal with his tiles and I just didn't.

After the game, we headed to bed. We were just talking and laughing and getting ready for bed when he got down on the floor while I was sitting on the edge of the bed. He told me he had something in his eye.
{Disclaimer: he did not plan this part - it just worked out perfectly for the event}
I found an eyelash in his eye and removed it. I told him to make a wish and blow it off the tip of my finger. He did and when I asked him what he wished for his response:
"that you'd marry me."
And he showed me the ring.

Me: "Are you serious?"
(Always with the words, I am)
Al: {blank stare}
Me: Of course I'll marry you"

Ok. So I know you all want to see the ring. There are two photos, one of last night in bed and the other this afternoon in different lighting.
I'm off to go spend the last few hours with my fiance before he heads back to Texas in the morning. Goodnight!

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Gah that is so sweet and perfect! Love it! Congrats doll :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! And its a beautiful ring :)

Emily said...

Congrats, that was such a cute way even if he didn't plan it all :)

Anonymous said...

I said, "Are you serious?" too. Ha! Congratulations!!

Mrs. Doc Handsome said...

Congratulations!!!! I'm so very happy for you two! The ring is gorgeous!!

Anonymous said...

That is such a sweet way he proposed :) And such a beautiful ring!

navynest said...

Congrats!

Jennifer said...

Aw how sweet! Congrats, I'm so happy for you!!

Anonymous said...

Thats so sweet! Congrats!!

Wiley said...

Yaaaaaaay!!! Congratulations!!

And sorry he had to leave today, but I hope the wonderful memories of this day carry you through well into his next leave period.

Jenna said...

Congratulations!!!! What a cute and sweet proposal! The ring is gorgeous!

Brae said...

Aw... That is so sweet!!! Your right is gorgeous! CONGRATSS!

Anonymous said...

So, that looks like one hell of a rock, lady.

And it's BEAUTIFUL!

Congrats congrats congrats!

Field of Dreams said...

AWWWW yay! So happy for you! Congrats on the engagement...that was one sweet proposal!!!

Rei said...

I love it!! :D

lola said...

CONGRATS!! :)

d.a.r. said...

Congrats!!! Such a pretty ring!

Nicole said...

Yay congratulations!! So very happy for you! Your ring is beautiful! And I'm pretty sure the first words out of my mouth are going to be "are you serious?" too!

Whitney @ EHFAR said...

Congrats!

Kaylee said...

Ok, ok, so I know this is incredibly late, but CONGRATS!!!! Me, with my fast from social media, only just saw that you and Al got engaged! This makes me super happy!!! Yay for you two! Hope you are doing well!